London, UK – After the much fulfilling and fun-filled evening at the Vasakhi Feed the Hungry event on 11th April 2009, we have been blessed with the strength to undertake another event with all your help. See a clip of the Feed the Hungry in London event on 11th April at http://vimeo.com/4141731
It is the birth anniversary(Gurpurab) of Guru Amardas Sahib, the third Sikh Guru, on Saturday, 23rd May 2009 and we are gearing up to celebrate it by feeding the hungry. We will start by feeding our souls with the recitation of 40 pauris of Anand Sahib (the prayer of bliss), composed by Guru Amardas Sahib, at the Central Gurdwara London, after we pack hot langgar prepared by the sevadar (volunteers) of the Central Gurdwara, which will be taken to the Hopetown Centre in East London.
The Feed the Hungry London event will be taking place at 2pm at the Hopetown Centre in Whitechapel, London, on 23rd May 2009 .The Langgar will be prepared and packed from 9am, as before, at the Central Gurdwara at 62 Queensdale Road, LondonW11 4SG.The poster for the event is at https://www.unitedsikhs.org/feedthehungry/th-FTH-london-23may.jpg
At the request of the Hopetown Centre we would be doing a presentation on ‘Who Are the Sikhs?’ , prompted by the curiosity of the residents during our Vasakhi Feed the Hungry event at the Centre.
We need you to turn up at the Central Gurdwara from 9am to help prepare and pack langgar as well as participate in the reading of the 40 pauris of Anand Sahib, followed by serving food participating in the presentation on ‘Who Are the Sikhs. We have found sevadars (volunteers) for the following tasks:
(1) Donation of groceries and cooking seva for the langgar – Central Gurdwara sangat
(2) Buy tins of fruit salad and ice cream and bringing same to the Central Gurdwara – Devinder Kaur and Harpal Kaur
(3) Lead singing of the Anand Sahib (all 40 pauris)at the Central Gurdwara while or after preparing langar. This will be followed by a short vichaar (discussion) on Anand Sahib – Rishipal Singh.
(4) Prepare a presentation on Who are the Sikhs and manage the projector and screen for 40 pauris of Anand Sahib at the Central Gurdwara and also projector set up at the Hopetown Centre- Harsharen Kaur.
(5) Drive (with GPS, Satnav/ Tomtom) from the Central Gurdwara to the Hopetown Centre. We need to leave the Central Gurdwara at 12.30pm at the latest – Harbans Kaur, Harpal Kaur and others who will be driving.
(6) Photography- Gurvinder Singh
Do feel free to pass this email to your friends & family as well. If anyone has any special requirements/needs please do let me know and we will surely accommodate that.
A few administrative details:
(1) Details for the Gurdwara
62 Queensdale Road,
London, W11 4SG
Parking is free for 2 hours at the Westfield Shopping Centre, nearby. Parking restrictions apply near the gurdwara until 1.30pm on Saturdays.
(2) The Hopetown Centre
The route map will be given to volunteers who are driving from the Central Gurdwara. For security reasons, the Hopetown Centre cannot admit volunteers who arrive at the Centre on their own. Parking is free at the centre.